Latest Posts

Mommy Antics: The Journey to the Fulltime Mom Gig

By 9:00 AM ,


The first time that pregnancy test showed two lines, I froze. I felt both excitement and anxiety. Don’t get me wrong, having a baby is what me and my husband were waiting for, the moment we got married. But being a mom...well, that’s a whole different story.

Motherhood is priced Of God, at price no man 
may dare to lessen or misunderstand.
~Helen Hunt Jackson

In my head I kept asking myself, am I ready to be a mother? To change diapers, let alone carry a fragile, little person? How could I take care of our baby while working? Should I give up my office work? Should we get a maid? Yes, my expectation reached that far off.

In the middle of my pregnancy, me and my husband started “the talk” on should I or shouldn’t I resign from my work. He was very willing to shoulder all the expenses himself, and I admire my husband for being that responsible. We’re a young couple (I was 23 and he was 24 then), and we haven’t saved that much and so thinking about giving up my job was a BIG risk. He was sure, I wasn’t.

Later in my pregnancy, I felt more and more inclined to the decision of taking the fulltime mommy career. Reading on books and online articles on being a stay at home mom heightened my interest on quitting my office job. But I still wasn’t 100% decided. I also asked advice from family and friends and they had mixed comments, which got me even more confused.

But you want to know what had me make up my mind?

It was that moment I held that fragile, little person in my arms at the brightly lit delivery room, for all to see. 



When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts. 
A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her child
~Sophia Loren

My husband and I took care of him ourselves for the duration of my Maternity leave. The late nights of diaper changing and breastfeeding wasn't all that bad, despite everyone else's precautions. I then said to myself “Hey, I can really do this”. But motherhood isn't easy as 123, it takes some time to get a hang of things and to discover things on your own, which is very fulfilling.

That said, I still had a go at the office mom career for about a month tops. Eventually, I found the day to day schedule both tiring and stressful. I had to commute from QC to Makati. I had to pump milk during breaks. Sometimes, doing work overtime was necessary. I reached that point when I thought “this isn’t worth it anymore”...When all you look forward to, the moment you leave the house is going home at the end of the day..

In the end, my baby made my decision for me. Why? Because having him kickstarted all the resilient maternal instincts I didn’t know I had! I knew then and there that the stay at home mom career was for me!

In the end, I picked him...


How about you? Tell us why you chose your career: to be an office mom or a stay at home mom. What factors made you decide?



Sincerely,


You Might Also Like

0 comments