Latest Posts

Artsy Antics: Spend-Less Christmas Decoration 2012

By 8:04 AM , , ,


 ”I’m participating in the Spend-Less Holidays: Saving While Savoring the Season Blog Carnival, hosted by The Frugal Fil-Am and Dainty Mom. We’ll be sharing our tips on how to spend less this holiday season, so that we can have a more meaningful Christmas. Please scroll down to the end of the post to see the list of carnival entries.”

------------------------------

Christmas is fast approaching! And I'm excited now more than ever because it will be my little boy's first Christmas! 

We've already decorated our unit. Our motif for 2012 is Red, Green, and Silver. Last year, our motif was Green and Silver, and went with a minimalistic feel.

Now we've decided to add the color Red to make the unit look more festive! 

But instead of buying new decorations, we opted to borrow some of my mom's unused Christmas decor.
Last year was our first Christmas as a couple, so I was excited to buy all sorts of ornaments and to choose our Christmas tree. But ever since we had Kiel, we've been extra careful where we spend our money.

Being an artsy person, it's quite hard for me not to buy fancy trinkets and home decor. Oh, especially during the Holidays when all the malls and stores have a showcase of different ornaments. And most of the the time, the "SALE" sign gets to you...

Good thing my mom is quite a crafty person too, and improvises her decorations each year. Through the many Christmases that have passed, the stash of her ornaments have bulked up, and so I took advantage and borrowed some, haha! Why not, right? She let me borrow a whole box of RED decorations! Better than a SALE!

My sister helped us with the decorating, and we did some minor rearranging with the furniture too. Here's how it went..
Tada! Yeah, still a bit minimalistic, but it the Reds added bursts of color to our plain white interior.
We moved the Christmas tree near the window and
made it our focal point (slash picture taking area :D)
We moved the sofa bed against the wall and hung
our Wedding picture above it :)
Our TV area. Yes that's Gaspard wearing a Santa hat :)
The tall glass jars are mine, filled with the silver ornaments we used last year. Oh, yes, beside them are plants that were given to us by our Ninang Aida. They're growing (see the light green leaves?), and they go with the Christmas motif too!

Here are some of the decor I borrowed from my mom. I love the bells, and so does Kiel, he keeps reaching for them since they look like hanging mobiles. Plus the basket and the little Santa are so adorable..

We added Red ornaments to our tree of course. Oh and there's a little elf trying to help us out with the decorating..

So if you can borrow some decorations or just use last year's ornaments - together with a few arrangements and tweaks here and there - you too can have a festive home by spending less!

In the end, what's still most important is spending the Holidays with your loved ones...And to celebrate the real reason for the season: the birth of Jesus Christ.

I'm so excited for Christmas! Aren't you?


------------------------------

Check out the rest of  the Spend-Less Christmas carnival participants!


You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. I like what you did with your unit. It's a challenge to decorate a small space. Now I'm thinking of adding more decors to our unit as well coz it still looks bare!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it! A small space doesn't make it any easier to decorate, I have to think twice as hard what to do with the place. haha. And the baby's stuff (crib, stroller etc) makes it even harder! But I'm more into the details as you can see..Happy Holidays :)

      Delete
  2. Cute, Lique! Your place is adorable. I can totally relate with the small space, too. We only have a few decors, and I make them all fit into about two boxes of space after I pack them up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Nice! :) I personally like your Christmas tree-photo corner :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a lovely home, Lique! :) *drooling* Hahaha! :D Our apartment is a rather old one, built in the 1970s, and I'm planning to go very simple with our decorations. :) Love what you've done with your place! :D God bless you and your family!

    ReplyDelete